Google+

Quilting with a Modern Slant Book Review

Disclosure: Storey Publishing gave me a copy of this book free of charge to review. All opinions in my review are my own and I did not receive any other compensation. As in all my reviews I am providing links for your ease, but receive no compensation.

Now if you have been reading Crafty Moms Share for a bit of time you know I am a quilter. I tend to be a traditional quilter--using more traditional patterns. My mother has been experimenting with more modern patterns lately and it has intrigued me.  When I saw Quilting with a Modern Slant by Rachel May I decided I wanted to check it out and really see what modern quilting is really about. 

 



Unlike the traditional quilt books, this book has very few patterns. It is about the modern quilters and it introduces some of the techniques used in modern quilting. While discussing this book with my mother she commented on the small numbers of patterns being because in modern quilting patterns are not usually used--it is more a see what works method. 

Tokyo Subway Map by Elizabeth Hartman (Source)

As a traditional quilter I find this book fascinating. It is so interesting to me to see how the modern quilts are made and designed. The designs themselves interest the geometry teacher in me though I will admit just like with any art there are some that I just do not like. One of the ones I found interesting and that had a tutorial was Fraction Quilt by Rossie Hutchinson. 

Fraction Quilt by Rossie Hutchinson (Source)
 Unfortunately I was not brave enough to try it. I may still, but it has not happened. I however have enjoyed learning more about modern quilting--a part of quilting I have not been brave enough to explore previously.

This book is perfect for anyone who wants to learn more about modern quilting and the modern quilters themselves.  It is a very creative process where anything goes and this book really shares the spirit of it.